The U.S.-EU Trade and Engineering Council (TTC) held its third ministerial meeting on December 5 at the University of Maryland in School Park. Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken, Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo, and United States Trade Consultant Katherine Tai co-chaired the assembly with European Fee Executive Vice Presidents Margrethe Vestager and Valdis Dombrovskis to explore progress and advance concrete motion on transatlantic cooperation that demonstrate our solution to trade, technologies, and innovation in line with democratic concepts and common human rights. As the most significant trade and expenditure connection in the entire world, the United States and the European Union are advancing tasks that align with our shared values and endorse a regulations-based financial technique.
In conjunction with the TTC, Ambassador Tai, EVP Dombrovskis, and U.S. Section of Labor Beneath Secretary Lee convened a assembly of the Trade and Labor Dialogue to hear from labor and company leaders about how trade can boost labor legal rights and develop great-shelling out work on both equally sides of the Atlantic and globally. The U.S. and EU Co-Chairs welcomed almost senior leaders from Kenya and Jamaica to start new cooperation with both equally countries on digital connectivity and go over how the United States and the EU can better interact third nations to advertise safe digital infrastructure. They also engaged with U.S. and EU stakeholders to hear sights on advancing the progress of resilient offer chains and chances for cooperation on electronic plan and technological know-how requirements.
Geostrategic problems, including Russia’s total-scale invasion of Ukraine and amplified assertiveness of autocratic regimes, have reinforced the worth of our shared democratic values, commitment to common human rights, and management part in upholding an international rules-based mostly buy, together with in the regions of trade, technology and innovation. The U.S. and the EU proceed to coordinate attempts to deal with the unfold of Russian information manipulation and interference, particularly in the context of Russia’s aggression from Ukraine, and its affect on third nations around the world, notably in Africa and Latin-The united states.
At this ministerial, the United States and the European Union released a variety of new, concrete initiatives that will deepen our cooperation bilaterally and in partnership with third international locations, including:
Supporting Secure and Resilient Digital Connectivity in 3rd Countries:
- Launching new cooperation on inclusive information and facts and conversation engineering and solutions (ICTS) tasks in Jamaica and Kenya and in cooperation with their respective governments.
- In Jamaica, we will link about 1,000 general public universities and children’s homes to secure online companies, reinforce electronic competencies of lecturers, and support the use of digital technologies by all varieties of enterprises, and expand Wi-Fi infrastructure. We also intend to assist protected and resilient rural broadband connectivity delivered by trusted vendors in the country.
- In Kenya, we will develop school connectivity and provide technological help to assistance Kenya update its Info and Communications Act and 5G System in line with the ideas established for large-excellent global infrastructure tasks.
- Expanding coordination on funding electronic infrastructure tasks in 3rd nations, which include by a MOU in between the U.S. Enhancement Finance Corporation and the European Expenditure Bank.
Cooperating on New and Rising Technologies:
- Issuing a Joint Synthetic Intelligence (AI) Roadmap which will advise our methods to risk administration and dependable AI.
- Operating on a pilot venture on privacy improving systems and artificial data in wellness and medicine.
- Publishing a joint review on the effects of AI on the workforce.
- Developing an pro endeavor force on quantum info science and technologies to minimize limitations to exploration collaboration, and have interaction on specifications, intellectual assets, and export control-related problems.
- Producing joint tips for government-funded implementation of electro-mobility charging infrastructure to progress electric automobile adoption in the United States and the European Union, as properly as tips for foreseeable future general public demonstrations of Auto to Grid Integration pilots.
- Rising requirements cooperation on additive production, recycling of plastics, and digital identification, and launching new workstreams on article-quantum encryption and global cybersecurity requirements.
- Rolling out the Strategic Expectations Data system to share data about global standardization things to do and respond to frequent strategic troubles.
Building Resilient Semiconductor Offer Chains
- Institutionalizing an early warning technique to deal with and mitigate semiconductor provide chain disruptions.
- Exchanging information and facts and methodologies, and establishing a prevalent comprehension of market dynamics on our respective federal government support programs for semiconductors.
Marketing our Values On line
- Advancing the rules of the Declaration for the Potential of the Net – defense of common human rights and essential freedoms, a world wide world-wide-web, and inclusive and reasonably priced obtain to the Internet – which are global in scope.
- Deepening cooperation among U.S.- and EU-funded emergency mechanisms in aid of human legal rights defenders globally.
- Assessing with civil modern society and on the internet platforms Russian details manipulation and interference in other 3rd-place jurisdictions.
- Producing a multi-stakeholder group of complex industry experts who will document Internet shutdowns and their effects on society as swiftly and comprehensively as feasible. The team also launched its initial report.
- Exchanging information on platform governance, namely European regulatory initiatives and latest developments in the U.S. concentrating on tech system accountability and levels of competition.
Boosting Trade, Security, and Financial Prosperity
- Compiling and exchanging info on initiatives to use electronic technological know-how to simplify or minimize the value of performing small business with our governments and producing joint finest methods on the use and advertising of suitable electronic instruments.
- Expanding the scope of certain Mutual Recognition Agreements and continuing to work on figuring out other potential sectors and cross-sector initiatives in which strengthened cooperation on conformity assessment could boost transatlantic trade.
- Launching a pilot exchange on how to simplify transatlantic trade with regard to exports and re-exports of twin-use things and systems whilst making certain appropriate safety towards misuse.
- Exchanging details on the market place problem of U.S. and EU health care gadgets companies in China to superior understand and deal with the impact of China’s non-market place policies and practices on U.S. and EU organizations.
- Figuring out and addressing economic coercion and exploring likely coordinated or joint attempts, bilaterally and with other likeminded partners.
Advancing Initiatives to Aid Trade-Relevant Ecosystem, Labor, and Wellbeing Initiatives
- Launching a new Transatlantic Initiative on Sustainable Trade to identify actions in important regions of trade and environmental sustainability that support our shared ambitions of a inexperienced and sustainable upcoming, and to improve transatlantic trade and investment.
- Doing the job jointly intensively to aid the trade of health and fitness details to support analysis, innovation, and progress in community health with relevant lawful demands governing the security of info.
- Developing a new Expertise for Advancement Undertaking Drive that will convey collectively governing administration and private sector leaders from business enterprise, labor, and organizations that offer teaching with the intention of catalyzing ground breaking capabilities procedures.